This creative DIY activity is fun for your whole family! One of the great things about it is you probably have most of the items on hand.
- Start by collecting small cardboard boxes such as cereal, pasta and spaghetti boxes.
- Stuff them with newspaper until they’re sturdy.
- Using packing or masking tape, attach some of the boxes together form an assortment of buildings and houses.
- Cut 1″ x 6″ strips of newspaper.
- Create a decoupage mixture with equal parts white glue and water. Dip the newspaper strips into the mixture and cover the boxes with them. Alternate the direction of the strips.
Click here for more summer crafts for kids!
- Let it completely dry. This might take several hours or overnight, depending on the size of the boxes and the weather.
- Once it’s dry, paint it with acrylic or tempera paints. Add details, using just about anything you have on hand. You can use things you find in nature such as pebbles and twigs. Use game pieces, toothpicks, small craft items and other small items.
- Create your neighborhood!