Does your family love applesauce as much as mine? Consider making it yourself! It’s not as hard as you might think. Plus you’ll eliminate all that nasty high fructose corn syrup that’s in some store brands.
This recipe for Cinnamon Applesauce makes approximately 6 cups. Tweak it until it becomes a family favorite.
For your convenience, some of the supplies are linked to Amazon where you can buy them from home. As an affiliate and customer, there’s no site like Amazon for variety and low prices.
- 6 pounds of apples (organic if you can)
- 1 cup of apple juice
- fresh squeezed lemon juice (from 1 whole lemon)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Peel and core all of the apples. Buy now: apple peeler/corer/slicer
- Cut the apples into 8 slices.
- Add the apple pieces to a saucepan with the apple and lemon juice, brown sugar and spices.
- Cook on low for 20-25 minutes until the apples are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a blender. Puree to your desired consistency. You can leave some small apple chunks if you like or blend it further until it’s smooth.
- Using a funnel, pour the applesauce into mason jars and refrigerate. Buy now: set of 12 mason jars
If you’re a parent or grandparent, join our group
for tons of great ideas from awesome bloggers!