With the start of autumn only a few weeks away the time is perfect to share this recipe for cinnamon apple muffins. These moist, delicious, muffins are the perfect combination of apples and cinnamon and the brown sugar topping gives it a nice sweetness. The best part, besides eating it, is the warm, cozy scent of autumn that will fill your kitchen while they’re baking.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine, chilled and diced
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 2/3 cup of milk or buttermilk
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 2 apples cored, peeled and finely chopped
- Combine 1 1/3 cups cups flour, brown sugar and margarine in a large bowl. Mix with a pastry blender until mixture is the consistency of fine crumbs. Set aside 1/4 cup for the topping.
- Add the remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt to same bowl. Mix well.
- Slowly stir in the milk (or buttermilk), egg, vanilla and apples. Stir until just moistened.
- Evenly divide the batter into 16 greased muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the topping.
- Bake at 400° for 20 to 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Makes 16 muffins.